Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Hidden treasure...




After cleaning out a closet last week,
I came across this quilt and realized...
why am I hiding these?
This is a Texas Star quilt...
all hand stitched...with the faintest of battings...if there even is any...

I had the perfect place to highlight this....
Sew...I  prayed and washed it.

What a resilient piece of quilt history..
.and quite the beauty...
My grandmother...
a former wing walker in the 1920s...
an avid antique collector, the perfect hostess...
the Mama to my sweet Mama...
the one whom my middle name comes from...
and an avid quilter.
So many talents...more than I could ever share here...
now prominently lives on in my home...
Why was I saving this in a box in the closet? 
Do you have something hidden away?
  
Take time today and go on your own treasure hunt...



She added all the Texas towns she either had lived in or visited...








I can only imagine those buttons served as a reminder of where the middle of the quilt was located...








12 comments:

  1. WOW...a real treasure and sEw beautifully stitched. Looks like there are some feed sack fabrics. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt, with beautiful memories attached!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes visitors want to know...why were you hiding this...she lived in a lot of places...totally cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty!!! I love the names of the towns in the stars. That is a treasure that needs a place of honor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat quilt - love it, extra special since it was your grandmother's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. Makes me want to start a hand made quilt. Love ya P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is stunning and you are a very wise woman. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a gorgeous quilt with beautiful memories! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! How wonderful that you have this quilt from your grandmother. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome quilt! I lived in Temple, TX . . . so I know right where that is.

    ReplyDelete

A few years back...3 maybe?

 A little over 3 years ago, our little quilt shop grew up. We moved to a larger space and hired more employees. So much has happened in thos...